POSITION: Centralized Medical Records Clerk
SHIFT: M-F, Full-Time
POSITION CLOSES: Open until filled
Assembles newly discharged inpatient, observation, outpatient surgery, outpatient clinic records, and emergency room charts. Scans the records and assigns to appropriate file in Electronic Health Records (EHR). Performs duties, such as faxing, answering the telephone, and providing excellent customer service to all customers. Purges charts and shred/destroys according to Benewah Community Hospital policy and procedure. Files the appropriate destruction of paper chart forms.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains deceased patients on EHR.
- Scan outside paper records in their appropriate encounter inside the EHR.
- Scan discharged inpatient, surgeries, outpatient and clinic records on a daily basis.
- Makes daily rounds to pick up charts, face sheets, etc.
- Processes requests for release of information in compliance with applicable laws.
- Performs duties such as faxing, answering of the telephone, taking messages, communicating with others, etc.
- Reviews incoming Advance Directives to ensure directives are complete and valid and scanned into the EHR.
- Makes copies from the legacy systems and scan into EHR at provider request.
- Analyze records for missing information, incomplete forms, incomplete signatures and EKG’s and sends these documents to the appropriate provider/staff to complete.
- Prints copies of charts as needed by Risk Management and other committees.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to accurately perform filing tasks.
- Knowledge of chart filing systems.
- Knowledge of privacy rules and regulations including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). Maintains confidentiality as required by Law and accesses only the protected health information required to complete job duties.