POSITION: Coding Specialist I
SHIFT: M-F, Full-Time
POSITION CLOSES: Open until filled
Under direct supervision of management this positions participated in coding noncomplex diagnosis and procedural information on medical records according to ICD and CPT principles and conventions. Works closely with management and/or seasoned staff to learn payment and methodologies i.e. DRG’s, for the services being coded. Accurately and timely codes and abstracts records per the Coding Department productivity and quality standards. Must successfully meet accuracy and productivity standards of this level for six months before advancing to the next coding level within the department. Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditations requirements as well as applicable professions standards.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Requirements:
- Codes and abstracts charts using ICD and CPT coding system.
- Completes doctor charge, facility charges and inputs appropriate charges on Cerner.
- Performs analysis to confirm information for coding IP, OBS, OP, and Surgery is on charts.
- Regular and predictable attendance is an essential job function.
- Majority of shift spent sitting.
- No or very limited physical effort required.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- Communicate with patients, physicians, families and co-workers in person and on the telephone.
- Work with equipment and manipulate equipment settings, computer keyboard, etc.
- High School diploma or GED equivalent.
- Completion of accredited coding certificate program. Coding Certification: AAPC, CCA or CCS-P required.
- Anatomy and Physiology preferred.
- Must possess extensive knowledge of medical documentation and confidentiality requirements for medical records. Knowledge of 3M Software and Optum Software preferred.