POSITION: Cook, PRN
SHIFT: PRN, As Needed
POSITION CLOSES: Open until filled
Responsible for preparing and serving patient and staff meals, keeping kitchen clean, assuring patients have accurate menus and meals, completing performance audits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works as dietary cook or dietary assistant as scheduled.
- Assure proper methods in food preparation, storage, and service are being used throughout the kitchen and café.
- Preparation and execution of all catering, patient services, and staff meals.
- Clean and inspect galley equipment, kitchen appliances, and work areas to ensure cleanliness and functional operation.
- Takes the patients and the staffs meal orders and prepares them as well, and diet changes at pre-determined times.
- Portion and serve food to facility residents, employees, or patrons.
- Cook food according to menus and recipes, special dietary or nutritional restrictions, or numbers of portions to be served.
- Clean, cut, and cook meat, fish, or poultry.
- Wash pots, pans, dishes, utensils, and other cooking equipment.
- Direct activities of one or more workers who assist in preparing and serving meals.
- Train new employees.
- Take inventory of supplies and equipment.
- Monitor menus and spending to ensure that meals are prepared economically.
- Plan menus that are varied, nutritionally balanced, and appetizing, taking advantage of foods in season and local availability.
- Requisition food supplies, kitchen equipment, and appliances, based on estimates of future needs.
- Keep track of ordering food and supplies on a daily basis.
- Fill out prep lists and follow them to ensure proper set up and readiness for any orders that may come.
- Follows UNICODE and federal guidelines for safe and sanitary food handling.
- Bake breads, rolls, and other pastries. Performs baking duties as required.
- UNICODE certified within 30 days of hire date.
- Experience with restaurant/institutional food service management of cooking preferred.
- Ability to understand and implement dietary guidelines for all therapeutic diets from the Diet Manual and as instructed by the Dietary Manager and/or the Consulting Dietitian.
- Ability to interact with patients, staff, visitors, and others courteously and professionally.
- Ability to react to and perform effectively in emergency and dynamic environments.
- Able to effectively read, write, and communicate in English.
Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be certified by the Department of Health and Welfare as a food service sanitation worker.