POSITION: Surgery Technician, Full-Time
SHIFT: Monday – Friday, 10 days On-Call per month
Do you find yourself being drawn to shows like Greys Anatomy, The Resident or Scrubs? Don’t even bat an eye when most would get queasy? Are you striving to be a team-oriented, excellent listener, that can stay calm under pressure, and certainly not squeamish? If these characteristics seem like we are describing you, then you’ll be well-suited for life as a surgical tech!
Assists surgical team before, during, and after surgery. Ensures operating suite is adequately prepared for procedure. Monitors PAR level of all surgical instruments and supplies. Cleans and sterilizes all surgical instruments. Participates in departmental staff meetings and performance improvement activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Interacts professionally with patient and family.
- Closely observes patient with minimal disturbance.
- Provides patient with explanations and verbal reassurance, as necessary.
- Adapts procedures to meet individual needs of pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients for treatment.
- Prepares room in a timely manner with all anticipated instruments, sutures, supplies and equipment for each individual surgical procedure.
- Demonstrates competence in care of specimens and accurately handles specimens at all times.
- Post OR charges accurately and in a timely manner as directed.
- Assists in positioning, prepping and draping of patients for surgical procedures
- Accurately completes operating room counts (instruments, sponges, needles); follows proper procedure in the event of incorrect count; reports all discrepancies to Circulating RN and surgeon and/or corrects immediately.
- Carries out medical/surgical asepsis before during and after treatments/procedures.
- Checks all equipment/instruments needed, prior to each procedure to ensure proper functioning.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Sets up, scrubs and prepares for procedures at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled time, unless otherwise directed by Circulating RN or Nurse Manager.
- Performs services requiring technical or manual skills under the direction of Circulating RN.
- Anticipates needs of surgeon during intraoperative phase.
- Cleans and prepares rooms between procedures and after last case; restocks supplies, when necessary and organizes effectively for end-of-case clean up.
- Is fully responsible for care of instruments/equipment during intra/postoperative phase, including cleaning and processing of instruments.
- Follows written procedures for steam sterilization; knows responsibilities and the necessity for chemical and biological monitoring
- Consults with other staff members, when in question or unfamiliar with equipment or procedure
- Regularly collaborates with other members of the nursing team, in order to maintain equipment and supplies for surgical procedures.
- Makes decisions reflecting knowledge of facts and good judgment (assigned case and instruments and/or trays to be pulled for the procedure) within the Operating Room Technician’s scope of practice
Education and/or Experience:
One year certificate from college or technical school preferred but not required; or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in the medical field is preferred, but not required.
Must be willing to share in evening and weekend call schedule.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds.